Around this time of year, I receive emails from some of my students’ families. They ask for Father’s Day gift suggestions for their guitar playing dads/husbands. I know my students well, so it is fairly easy to offer advice that I know will hit the mark. I have created a list of some of my students’s favorite gifts they have received from family and friends. I hope this helps you shoppers get started, and fathers, message me if you’d like me to add a piece of your favorite guitar gear to the list! If my dad played guitar, I think he would play a vintage Fender from Emerald City Guitars and a PRS from The Guitar Store. My dad carried my guitar for me around Seattle once, and he said that people smiled at him more and it made him feel cool. Maybe everyone should play guitar…
Rock Father’s Day!
- Good Guitar Case and Tick Bag (so he can take his guitar to his lessons and gigs)
- Noise Canceling Headphones (so he won’t be bothered by your TV show when he’s practicing)
- A Portable Amp With a Headphone Jack (so he can play in another room or outside and not bother you)
- Guitar Method Books (so he learns all the right skills)
- Boss Loop Pedal (because this is is a super fun, helpful practice/performance tool)
- Adapter to Connect Guitar to an iPad (so he can use all the awesome apps for guitarists)
- Guitar Zero (A great book about guitarists’ brains
- Jimi Hendrix Signature Licks (because everyone needs to learn some Jimi)
- Blues Guitar Book (this is a cool book that has lots of cool easy to intermediate level songs)
- Guitar Lessons (so he can learn the basics and/or get off the plateau he’s been on for a while)
Have a question or know of a great gift? Leave it below in the comment box so others can learn about it. Also check out my complete Guitar Gear Guide.
Susan Palmer teaches jazz, blues, and rock guitar styles in Seattle and via webcam. Since 2006, she has been the guitar instructor at Seattle University. Palmer created and taught, “The Rock Project” at Cornish College of the Arts from 2010-15, and she was music instructor at Seattle Girls School for the 2016-17 school year. Palmer is the author of, The Guitar Lesson Companion Method Book Series which is used by teachers and students in over 10 countries, including faculty at Berklee College of Music. Her extensive collection of lesson videos and jam tracks are available for free on YouTube. Palmer’s current and former students perform regularly throughout the country, including these Seattle venues: The Comet, The High Dive, Skylark, Neumos, The Hard Rock Cafe, Chop Suey, The Tractor Tavern, The Rendezvous, The Sorrento Hotel, The Crocodile, The Mix, Cafe Racer, The Edgewater Hotel, The Sunset, and other private events.